FHWA 2017 Environmental Excellence Awards
NOTE: The nomination period for the 2017 Environmental Excellence Awards is now closed. Award recipients will be announced in Spring 2017. Please contact EEAwardsNomination@dot.gov with any questions.
The Environmental Excellence Awards (EEAs) have been designed to recognize outstanding transportation projects, processes, and people who incorporate environmental stewardship into the planning and project development processes using Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) funding sources.
WHAT is the Environmental Excellence Awards Program?
This biennial program was developed by FHWA to honor those partners, projects, and processes that excel in meeting growing transportation needs while protecting and enhancing the environment. While working in partnership with States, organizations, businesses, and individuals, we at FHWA encourage environmental stewardship and increased awareness of the successes we can achieve by incorporating environmental excellence into our everyday work.
WHO is eligible to enter?
We accept nominations for any project, process, group, or individuals involved in a project or process that has used FHWA funding sources to make an outstanding contribution to transportation and the environment. Any organization, agency, group, or individual in the public, private, or non-profit sectors may submit a nomination for the 2017 EEAs.
Projects submitted for consideration must be completed or nearly completed and cannot have won an EEA previously. There is no time limitation on project applicability. Typically, projects submitted are relatively recent (i.e., completed within the last three years).
Winning entries will be selected by a panel of judges having varying backgrounds, disciplines, and expertise.
WHEN are the entries due?
The application deadline has been extended! All entries for the 2017 EEAs are due by September 30, 2016. Nominations after September 30, 2016, will not be considered for the 2017 EEAs.
WHERE will the awards be presented?
FHWA intends to hold an awards ceremony to recognize award recipients' accomplishments. Information about the 2017 EEAs awards ceremony is forthcoming.
HOW should entries be submitted?
All award nominations must be submitted electronically using the online submission form available on this website.1 To submit an application, select the "Submit an Application" link at the top of this page. If, for any reason, the electronic submittal of entries is not possible, faxed and mailed copies are acceptable. For more information about the submission of entries, please contact the EEA team at EEAwardsNomination@dot.gov.
When applying, keep in mind:
- Entries should fall into one of the categories listed.
- Entries should address as many of the listed criteria as possible in their category.
- Each entry must include a completed application form, which includes a summary of the outstanding accomplishments of the nominated project, process, person, or group. If submitting a faxed or mailed entry, summaries must not exceed two (2) typewritten pages, and the font size must be no smaller than 10 point.
- Entries must include at least two (2) professional quality color prints showing the associated project or person(s) nominated. You may also submit .jpg file submissions through the Environmental Excellence Awards applications portal. There is a file size limit for files submitted through the portal. If a file is too large to submit online, please submit it to EEAwardsNomination@dot.gov by the application deadline.
- Illustrations are acceptable and must include entry name and a description of the illustration.
- Entries may be submitted in up to three (3) categories, one under each topic area, by completing a separate application package for each category.
- FHWA reserves the right to reassign an entry’s selected category if it is deemed to fit a different category per the judges’ review.
- All materials submitted become the property of the U.S. Department of Transportation and may be used by the Department for its purposes. No entry materials will be returned.
To provide feedback, suggestions, or comments for the page, contact Damaris Santiago at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1 This collection of information is voluntary, and will be used to support the FHWA Environmental Excellence Awards Program, which recognizes outstanding initiatives and partnerships across the United States that incorporate environmental stewardship into the planning and project development processes using FHWA funding sources. Public reporting burden is estimated to average eight (8) hours per response, including the time for reviewing instructions, searching existing data sources, gathering and maintaining the data needed, and completing and reviewing the collection of information. Please note that an agency may not conduct or sponsor, and a person is not required to respond to, a collection of information unless it displays a currently valid OMB control number. The OMB control number for this collection is 2125-0636. This collection is valid until 08/31/2019. Send comments regarding this burden estimate or any other aspect of this collection of information, including suggestions for reducing this burden to: Information Collection Clearance Officer, Federal Highway Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE., Washington, DC 20590.